Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Traditional and Contemporary

I spoke about decorating my home and also mixing patterns here. Now I find myself contemplating mixing styles. I love incorporating different styles - mixing traditional with modern, contemporary with mid century, etc. I think mixing styles can be fun and ensure the room does not look sterile with just one style. I bought the Montclair sofa in nickel at Crate and Barrel for my living room. It's style contemporary with clean lines and tailored legs was exactly the look I was going for. Picking a rug has proved to be a more challenging. I have perused a number of comtempory rugs but I find myself gravitating toward a traditional style of rug. Oriental and Persian rugs are traditional in nature and a great way to bring color and pattern into a room.

I started thinking about mixing the traditional rug with the contemporary sofa. Of course, the I went to the Internet to see how this would look. 







I found I really liked the contrast of traditional and contemporary. Even though I want the room to feel contemporary I could easily include a Persian or Oriental rug without losing the overall feel of the room. Originally I thought that to create a contemporary feel, the whole room must be contemporary, but that is of course not the case. As soon as I let go of what I thought had to be in the space, I found the perfect rug. The pattern is subtle but it allows the color yellow to be incorporated into the room. 

Tell me, do you like traditional rugs with contemporary furniture?  


 
In addition to writing for Daigle's Digs, Elizabeth works full-time as a Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty Downtown, LLC. Elizabeth's expertise is in buying and selling a home, first time home buyers, short sales, and investment properties. Contact Elizabeth for any real estate needs. Cell 303-819.73.71. Work 720-314-8352

No comments:

Post a Comment