Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Denver Hug

I spoke here about being from the East Coast and how different it can be in Denver. A notable difference are hugs. Sounds strange but I have been a big hugger. It is a running joke in my family that I do not hug but rather give a slight pat on the back. When I left my job of eight years to go to Denver I didn't even hug my friends. Which, truth be told, it's MORE AWKWARD to not hug when there should be a hug. I did not care though, I still did not hug.


But I digress because since coming to Denver I have gotten and given more hugs than ever. People here hug to say "hello", "goodbye", "I am sorry", "nice to meet you" and for a plethora of other reasons. At first I was very taken aback by it because I was so unused to it. It was actually rather suprising the first few hugs I received since they were so unexpected. Since living here for six months, I now find myself going in to give a hug, which is even more unexpected for me. 

Even more surprising was when I went to New Hampshire I found myself giving hugs there and the looks on everyone's faces was complete shock. I never once thought I would be a person to give a hug to just hug. No wonder why the Northeast is considered cold, hugging really isn't in our culture, whereas it seems to be ingrained in the culture here. So yes Denver, you may be on to something with these hugs. I accept your hug and will give a hug in turn. 

In addition to writing for Daigle's Digs, Elizabeth works full-time as a Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty Downtown, LLC. Elizabeth's expertise is in buying and selling a home, first time home buyers, short sales, and investment properties. Contact Elizabeth for any real estate needs. Cell 303-819.73.71. Work 720-314-8352.

No comments:

Post a Comment